Spammers have suddenly cranked up the use of malicious HTML file attachments in recent days, according to security company Barracuda Networks.
One in particular, a standard advertisement for fake antivirus software, installs a back door -- even if the browser is closed so by the time the HTML file has been clicked it is already too late. (See also "How to Spot an E-Mail Scam.")
Spam built around HTML is nothing new, but does seem to have become a hot technique in the last year or so with some spammers. A popular variant is the bogus "Delivery Status Notification Failure," a sneaky way to get the attention of a user without arousing suspicion.
"So yes, a seemingly innocent HTML email attachment can do plenty of damage, and while quite stealthy, definitely not harmless," concludes Barracuda Labs' researcher, Dave Michmerhuizen.
Since attachment attacks became a favorite tactic, spammers have tried almost every common format in existence, sometimes moving to obscure ones in an attempt to get around spam filters.
From basic math to precalculus, Microsoft Math helps you visualize and see mathematical concepts as you’ve never seen them before. It gives you step-by-step instruction, while providing you with a better understanding of fundamental concepts.
- Step-by-step instruction to help solve difficult math problems with the Step-by-Step Equation Solver.
- A full-featured graphing calculator with large 2-D and enhanced 3-D color graphs to better illustrate problems and concepts
- The Formulas and Equations Library—a resource with more than 100 commonly used equations and formulas to help you identify and apply the right one for your problem
- The Triangle Solver—a graphing tool that helps you explore and better understand triangles and their parts
- The Unit Conversion Tool—a handy tool that quickly and easily converts units of measure including length, area, volume, weight, temperature, pressure, energy, power, velocity, and time.
- Ink Handwriting Support that works with Tablet PCs and Ultra-Mobile PCs and recognizes handwritten problems.